Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Organizing Your Life

If anyone has any questions on how to become more organized, please do not hesitate to ask.  Organizing is something I love to do. Ask my hubby, he is a happier man because of my organizing skills.

When organizing your home, start with one area.  For ex. the kitchen pantry. First, Clear out the pantry, Check the dates on the products. Get rid of any thing you no longer use. Clean the items that you are keeping (wipe off dust).  Clean the pantry from the top to the bottom and desiginate special shelves for each product. For ex, boxes would go on one shelf and cans on another and snackes etc. on another. Have everything facing the same way. The can labels should be facing outward. Make sure when you make changes to anything in your home, you let everyone that lives there know of the changes.

Part of being organized is always having what you will always need at home. Here is a list of some things that I think you should always have ample supplies of.
Please Feel Free to add to the list.

These are good to buy in bulk at BJ's, Costco, Diapers.com etc.

  • tooth paste
  • tooth brushes
  • floss
  • mouth wash
  • toliet paper
  • hand and body soap
  • Shampoo and conditioner
  • Shaving cream (for hubby or if you shave)
  • razors (for hubby or if you shave)
  • feminie pads
  • Deodorant
  • lotion
  • Diapers
  • Wipes
  • Formula
First aid supplies:
  • Alcohol
  • Peroxide
  • oinments
  • Guaze
  • Band-aids
  • eye wash
  • poison control number
  • CPR instructions
  • Emergency numbers 
House safety:
  • Smoke and carbon Monoxide detectors on every floor and in certain areas
  • Fire Extinguishers on every floor and always in Kitchen and by Boiler
  • Saftey escape plan
  • An extra key to your home some where close (friend, neighbor or a hiding spot)

5 comments:

  1. You sound like a very well-organized woman. Please share with me on how to be that organized with a full-time job, full-time school schedule, full-time parent and full-time activities. I have been trying to get organized for a long time. I feel horrible becasue all the things i want or wanted to do gets forgotten. I still have to send out thank you cards for my wedding, baby shower, christening, first birthday. This is how weak my skills are, if you can give me some tips, i would love it and try to activate them asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! I need to get organized. We love to shop at Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous, I know how hard it is to be organized when you have so little time! What I have found is when I became organized, It was easier to get my life in order!
    First thing I would advise is to get 2 list pads. Put one on your fridge and use list pad one for writting down things you need to buy. This is great for other people in your household to use too. If they see the milk is running low they can write it on the list and who ever gets a chance to go the store can pick up items before they are completely out.
    List Pad 2, use for things to do. Keep in pocket book, by your bed or in the kitchen. When writing the list of things you have to do, first start by writing down whatever comes into your head. Then go back and prioritze the list. For example, Wedding Thank you cards #1, Baby shower... #2, Christening...#3 and baby shower...#4. Try to write at least a few cards a day. Right before you go to bed, or when you are sitting down for a cup of coffee or whatever. Remember that writing thank you cards to people who took the time to get you and your family gifts, deserve a thank you card to show that you really appreciated the gesture. Thank you cards do not have to be lengthy but do personalize it. For ex. Dear DeCarlo Family, we can not thank you enough for contributing to Milana's college fund. It was great seeing you at the baptism. Hope to see you soon. Love the Torre's Only three sentences and it was short and sweet. You can get many cards done this way. Set small goals daily and ask for help when needed. Enlist the other parent, grandparents and friends. Make sure you make time to enjoy life! And remember, it can be done. I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any other questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MOAQ, you are on point! And I have been to your home and seen your skills in action! We are BJ's shoppers, they take outside coupons and give you their own, and we have the reward card so we get an extra $20 check from them at least 10x's out of the year. I don't think Costco takes coupons.

    Just wanted to add to your post to Anonymous, I am you! I used to be organized till I got a husband and children, my home fell apart. Slowly it's getting back together, although I do fall off the wagon time to time. One thing that helped was a corporate workshop I had at my job called "Getting Things Done" http://www.davidco.com/ it applies to work but skills are transferrable to the home as well.

    It basically says what MOAQ mentions above, but you do a brain dump first, basically everything on your mind write it down get it out of your head no matter how far fetched it is, it needs to get out of your head, you will already start to feel better once this step is done, then you categorize, home, work, kids, school, then you prioritize by time, what will take the least amount of time, DO IT! Cross it off your list, it will free you to get to the other items and seeing stuff crossed off is a relief. One key thing is planning to get organized, so don't forget to plan this brain dump session :). Now if only I can keep it up! Good luck to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great posts! visit at our online store for furniture collections for your kids room and home decoration. http://www.directfactoryfurniture.com/

    ReplyDelete